Creativity Every Day - week 1

Well this week has been a struggle! Suffering from depression, lack of money and lack of sleep have taken its toll on me, but I am pleased to say that through it all I have managed to find time to fit in a daily dose of creativity... well for the most part!

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were spent (among other things) painting - putting the colour into one of 3 pieces which will be destined for a NZ Art Guild exhibition "Borderless" being held at the Academy of Fine Arts in Wellington in February.

Wednesday I returned to Uni during the day to attempt to work on my thesis but the evening was spent starting 3 graphite portraits for my friends on Stewart Island who I spent New Years with. I did the outline for all 3 before selecting one to work on first. This is how far I got with that one:

"Bugs" - stage 1
Graphite
A4

Thursday evening was back to the brushes to complete the piece I'd put colour on earlier in the week - here's the finished product:

"day~dreamer"
Acrylic
380 x 760 mm
$440

Friday was the worst day of the week for me, productivity in general was low as were my spirits so I allowed myself a rejuvenating evening of reading. When I'm that low I like to get lost in a book - forget about my world and pretend I'm somewhere else - currently I'm delving back into the world of Harry Potter. Although I've read them all once before, I was astounded when I watched the 7th movie how little I remembered and vowed to read them all again before the 8th one comes out. I managed to finished the 6th book (which certainly wasn't planned as when I started reading at about 3pm I was only 1/2 way through it). So although I wasn't being creative I was nurturing my creative side.

Saturday (yesterday) I dug myself out of my little hole by picking up the brushes again and finishing a piece that has been sitting on its easel for almost months now. I started it shortly after the first blast happened at Pike River and in a way its become a tribute to those who have lost their lives for me, which may certainly explain the lack of enthusiasm to finish it. I've re-done several parts of it as I've never been completely happy with it and am still unsure how I feel about it. However everyone who has seen it in its incomplete form has commented that they love it. It, along with the previous painting, will both be heading to the Wellington exhibition (for which I still have one more to create). Here's the finished product:

"Ascension"
Acrylic
1070 x 1070 mm
$810

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful paintings Tanya! Sending you lots of happiness your way x x x