Photo Of The Day - Days 30-43

Ok I'm home a little earlier than expected, and didn't make it around the track, the weather wasn't great and I took someone who wasn't experienced enough with me so unfortunately we only got to the second hut on the North West Circut before we had to turn around but we did manage to do the Rakiura track instead. Now for the images...



Number 30 - 14th Nov 2008

Setting off... I was so hectic running around packing I almost forgot to take a shot - this is a quick one of the car wheel before we hit the road.



Number 31 - 15th Nov 2008

Arriving in Half Moon Bay - this is a view of the bay from up by the church.


Number 32 - 16th Nov 2008

First day of tramping - we walked from Half Moon Bay to Port William Hut, about 1/2 way along the track is Maori Beach where there are some old remains from an early Sawmill on the island. This shot is of those remains.


Number 33 - 17th Nov 2008

Tramping day 2 - Port William Hut to Bungaree Hut. About 1/2 an hour into the track (after the worst of the mud!!!!!) we came to this little beach off the main track - it was absolutely gorgeous and it was the last of the sun we saw that day, just after this was taken the heavens opened and the rain poured down!!! It ended up taking us 7 & 1/2 hours to get to Bungaree, a trip that is meant to take between 3 & 4 hours to do.


Number 34 - 18th Nov 2008

We stayed put in the hut on Tuesday (thankgoodness we had taken a couple of books with us!). It rained and blew a howling gale for most of the day and night. There was the odd bit of sunshine - enough for me to step out of the hut and take this shot of Bungaree beach at any rate. It was a lovely spot to rest up before heading back to Port William.



Number 35 - 19th Nov 2008

When we got back to Port William (it only took us 4 & 1/2 hours on the return trip) we were covered in mud up to our knees, we had to go down to the beach and have a swim and scrub all the mud off our legs. There was a nice couple staying on this boat pictured who must have seen us and came up later that night with the most delicious freshly caught and cooked blue cod for us for dinner, it was very much appreciated!!!! :)


Number 36 - 20th Nov 2008

Port William to North Arm Hut (Rakiura Track) - this is the view from the North Arm Lookout - to the left of the image is Oban (the township of Stewart Island). I'm so pleased it wasn't raining or particularly windy when we got here!


Number 37 - 21st Nov 2008

Back in Half Moon Bay this was the state of my boots, although they had been alot worse I didn't think to take a photo of them until this point.


Number 38 - 22nd Nov 2008

Saturday morning was spent walking round trying to find my friend Jack who was meant to take us out on the boat to see the Salmon farm but Jack kindly forgot (he got busy drinking with the boys - typical!!! LOL) so we went sight seeing instead. This particuarly interesting tree was on the Raroa walk.

TRIPLE EDITION:



Number 39 - 23rd Nov 2008

More sight seeing - I was playing with the motion setting on my camera. These were taken at Butterfield's Beach.

Number 40 - 24th Nov 2008

Leaving Stewart Island for New Zealand as my friend Friday always says. This is a shot from the back of the Ferry as we quickly zoomed away from the dock.


Number 41 - 25th Nov 2008
The trip home was the worst ever! I've never driven in rain like that and the wind kept trying to blow us off the road - fortunately there was a bit of weight in the car which helped keep her on the road! Returning to Dunedin meant getting home to my cats! I think Munta missed me because he wouldn't leave my side for a second and followed me everywhere. This picture was using the motion settings to create the blur.


Number 42 - 26th Nov 2008
I got out in the garden to repair the damage that occurred without me there to look after it. I went to the gardencentre and brought a whole heap of veges - including a punnet of mixed lettuces.

Number 43 - 27th Nov 2008

Today I went out to check on my tomatoes that I planted yesterday and saw that my peony had finally opened! Gotta love the gorgeous flowers!

No comments: